Le Relais de Venise L'Entrecote (Marylebone)

120 Marylebone Lane, London, W1U 2QG - View on a map

The Independent

Lisa Markwell - 13/20

Sunday, February 21, 2010 - Other reviewers have grumbled about the provenance (or lack thereof) of the steak and the thinness of the 'famous sauce' covering it, but standards must have improved since it was slated back in 2005. The steak is tender and well-flavoured, and the chips crisp and thin. The buttery, salty sauce is a tad heavy on the herbs (basil seems to be prevalent) but it is piquant and seems authentic. We're just mopping up the last of the sauce with some baguette when our waitress hoves into view at top speed, bearing a tray with more steak, then more chips. "Seconds!" cries Mr M with pleasure.

No readers reviews yet.
Why not be the first and enter our competition to win a bottle of champagne.
Click here to write your review.

Gourmet Chick

Gourmet Chick - 7/10

Sunday, September 04, 2011 - A token green salad with lashings of mustard vinaigrette and walnuts is served first then comes the steak and frites. The steak is served slice and slathered in Le Relais secret sauce which is a slight twist on a Hollondaise. It's not Hawksmoor or Goodman quality steak but it is pretty good particularly for the price of 21 pounds for the two courses. There are two servings of the steak per person ensuring that everyone gets their protein hit for the day...I am generally not a fan of fast food or chain restaurants, but I have to admit I am prepared to make an exception for Le Relais steak frites.

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 7/10

Monday, June 28, 2010 - The main event is the sliced sirloin (sorry, entrecote) steak in 'famous' sauce with fries. The fries, first of all, were excellent - crispy and piping hot and golden brown. I have no idea what the beef was like as it was smothered in the famous sauce; I'm guessing it wasn't particularly top-quality but then I wasn't expecting Hawksmoor steak from a 20 quid set menu. But at the risk of blowing what tiny scraps of foodie credibility I ever possessed, do you know what? I actually liked it.

London Eater

London Eater

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - The steaks are Scotch, supplied by Donald Russell. It was perfectly rare, if a distinct lack of marbling. As it was still bloody, the texture was chewy but soft, and there was no sizzling bbq flavours from the meat. A piece in the Le Monde suggested that the Cafe de Paris sauce is butter based with chicken liver, fresh thyme, white dijon mustard, salt and pepper. To my untrained palate, I had tasted herbs, citrus and garlic in a buttery broth not unlike the fragrance of say a Thai green curry, sans coriander.