Elephant Walk

We are sorry but this restaurant has closed - The Reader Comments are shown for historical purposes only

I went as part of vegetarian week and was excited about the Thali plate of 10 vegetarian samplers on a plate with rice. It took a while for the waitress to take our order but she was pleasant enough. I ordered a glass of Prosecco from the menu and was told they no longer did it. I ordered the Thali and was told it was part of a vegetarian week special menu. She brought our drinks and starters and cleared our plates. When the mains came the waitress explained that they'd run out of the Thali that I'd ordered and instead she had brought lamprie for me which is a dish containing fish and chicken in a banana skin - she didn't come back and tell me it wasn't available or check with me if I'd wanted it and just went ahead and got it as an alternative. It was such a waste of food because I clearly couldn't eat it. I then heard her arguing on the phone with the kitchen about why it was being sent back - she tried to keep it quiet but it was all a bit unnerving. I picked at a side dish waiting for my main to arrive while my dining companion ate his dinner. We ate at different times so it wasn't exactly a dining experience. I certainly wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend it to friends. It could have been an off day but I'm not willing to risk it again.

Lucy
Monday, May 28, 2012

Love the food

Took the kothu string hoppers, love this sri lankan speciality. It's kind of a sri lankan pancake or something.

Took a Sri Lankan beer.

My brother loved his chicken Buryani. Not expensive for a London restaurant.

alexis
Saturday, March 10, 2012

Very friendly place with good food.

David S
Thursday, February 23, 2012

I ate here with my wife using a Groupon Voucher. I live 5 minutes form this place so was familiar with the location. It was near impossible to reserve a table. They blocked out most times and only left undesirable times for the Groupon voucher holders.

As soon as I walked inside this place the service was terrible. We had to wait for menus, for drinks and for explanations of the menu.

I ordered a coke as a drink. It was flat, they didnt offer to replace it and they charged me for it. I was very disappointed by this considering I left 3/4 of the glass.

The food wasn't too bad, however my wife didnt like it all as her meal was hot on the outside and cold in the middle, symptom of a microwaved dish.

I'm sure this was a poor example of a Sri Lankan dining experience, however I dont think I'll gamble on trying another one.

Richard
Monday, October 31, 2011

Thankfully our experience was much more pleasant from what I have been reading! Having read the reviews prior to going I was a little anxious but all turned out well. The ‘street food’ selection is authentic and of good value in a cosy, quaint atmosphere. Staff are friendly and accommodating. We were happy to pay the added service charge – I have found it a common occurrence for restaurants on group-on deals to do this.

We reserved a table under a groupon voucher for 2 at Elephant Walk last Saturday – it seemed difficult to get a date of our choice as lots of reservations had been already been made under groupon, but we got there in the end!

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my meal at Elephant Walk – we will be returning again to try more of the menu which wasn’t covered by group-on.

Maya Andrews - View all reviews by this user
Tuesday, October 25, 2011

We got a groupon voucher for a diner for two at this restaurant.

It proved difficult to book a table in the first place as we had to do it via email and as I wasn't getting an answer I called to check if we could come along that evening, well we had to wait for the man to call "them" and then wait for an answer...

From the minute we walked in the atmosphere was very poor, the waitress sat us without a word, we waited 15 min for a menu and were given a choice of 3 main dishes, the waitress had very poor command of english and would repeat herself again and again when we asked questions, she had no knowledge of sri lankan food.

We waited for our drinks a further 20 min and had to ask twice more about a glass of tap water. The food finally arrived and my husband's was tasty and well presented, mine had been warmed up in the microwave as the outer was boiling hot but the middle cold. We sat waiting for our plates to be cleared up for a further 20 min and decided to ask for the bill as no dessert menu was offered despite asking for one. The bill came and surprise surprise it was over charged and service had been added, we complained and they agreed to remove the over charge and the service. Needless to say we wont be returning.

Nathalie
Sunday, September 25, 2011

I had a groupon voucher so had the street menu. There wasnt much choice but I was really happy with my curry and loved the way it was presented

The waitresses didnt have a clue what they were doing and could barely understand English. If I asked them a question about the menu they would launch into an explanation of something completely different.

To top things off, when the bill came I was charged service on the dishes I had already bought through groupon. When I questioned this and asked for it to be taken off as I had had bad service and was only with a table of 2, so would rather tip, they refused to take off service charge. This is a bit strange because if it is a compulsory charge with the dish, it should be included in the pre-bought voucher.

I will never be returning here as I found them rude and the service was poor.

Lorraine Cooper
Monday, August 01, 2011

Having discovered there was a Sri Lankan restaurant nearby we were somewhat excited. Upon glancing at the extensive menu, we were very much looking forward to some mouth watering dishes. However, once we tucked into the food excitement turned into disappointment. Food arrived promptly albeit the fish curry was not warm enough to begin with, which led us to the suspicion it was microwaved. The quality of the chicken was very poor. A very average restaurant at a relatively high price.

May