1 Palace Gate, Kensington, London, W8 5LS - View on a map

Koi Restaurant In London

Koi Japanese restaurant (NOT to be confused with the low-market all-you-can-eat Koi Sushi in North Finchley) has been a popular Japanese restaurant in Kensington for years. It's quite hidden away from the main road and its low-profile zen decor shop front could be easily overlooked if passers-by aren't particularly looking, but, boy, don't they serve extremely tasty Japanese food! The 3-storey Japanese restaurant is pricey, but offers extremely delicious Japanese food. Great ambience and lovely Japanese decor. My partner and I regularly dine at Koi when we want a lovely night out whilst still staying in our neighbourhood. The food is really fresh and yummy; you could really taste the difference in the quality of their better ingredient; the food presentation is also great. Their wagyu beef, beef teriyaki, soft-shell-crab, garlic fried rice, and melt-in-your-mouth black cod are absolutely amazing - highly recommend. The waiting staff do indeed appear to be Chinese, but I don't see it as an issue; it's not like I were able to chat to them in Japanese if they were Japanese anyway. Good service is good service, whether it's Chinese or Japanese staff. If I have to fault something, (because the wine we order is not within our own reach) sometimes the staff might not notice our wine glasses need topping up until we have to prompt them to do so. But other than that, it's a truly enjoyable fine dining experience (and romantic too) whenever we visit Koi. It's also very close to Royal Albert Hall, so I'd recommend it as part of the Royal-Albert-Hall-going experience. All very refined :)

Rilakkuma - View all reviews by this user