Roast

Floral Hall, Stoney Street, Borough Market, London, SE1 1TL - View on a map

Roast Restaurant In London

City AM

City AM

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - So how does Roast fare in the gastronomical London of 2012, when dayboat fish and local asparagus no longer elicit oohs and aahhs? Not badly. The food is still fresh and it still has one of the best views in the area - of Borough Market and the streets surrounding. But on entering - after a hiatus of several years - I couldn't help but notice the decor felt out of date. And the food was a little pricey, we thought.

If you love your Sunday Roast then this is the place to go. I had Roast Belly of Pork with apple sauce and mash with sides of veg. Pork had a lovely thick crackling & the steamed Ginger pudding was to die for.

martin - View all reviews by this user
Friday, March 28, 2014

Rather surprised that no-one has reviewed this for over a year!

I like Roast. I really like Roast. I love the location, I love the brightness of the restaurant area, I love having a sneaky cocktail after Sunday lunch. The food is consistently good without being too flashy and the wine list is well thought out and, though not cheap, value for money.

We ate there on Sunday and all of the above still holds true. We arrived early, had a quick drink at the bar and were shown to a window table where we could enjoy the sun. There was live music playing softly in the background and a lovely buzz created by people out for Sunday lunch. Superb roast beef with great accompaniments.

My only criticism of the whole experience was that the service wasn't quite up to scratch. The food came quickly (almost too quickly) but, aside from that, we were left to our own devices when it came to e.g. topping up wine glasses.

A few marks off for that but it didn't spoil the place for me...and we will be back (next time I can't be bothered to cook Sunday lunch!)

Craig Barrett - View all reviews by this user
Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

Monday, March 07, 2011 - The mains were at least warm, but were nothing to write home about. The sole (which was a megrim as advertised, and not a lemon sole as our waiter insisted) went down well and was a hefty beast. If there was a gripe, it was not hot enough to melt the shrimp butter on top. My main of pork belly was decent enough, with excellent crackling, but the meat was on the chewy side, and the apple sauce was poor at best, tasting and looking like apple flavoured baby food...y the time they had offered us dessert, we really just wanted to leave so we tried to settle the bill, but even that took a few goes to get somebodies/anybodies attention. The total bill pre voucher came to nearly 90 pounds.