China Tang at The Dorchester

The Dorchester Hotel, 53 Park Lane, London, W1K 1QA - View on a map

China Tang at The Dorchester Restaurant In London

I just got back from dinner at China Tang at the Dorchester .

It was a lovely evening. The ambience was very classy and not too noisy. The service was excellent, very attentive throughout -our waiter gave us very good advice on dishes to order and the food when it came was well cooked and really tasty. We had a number of different dishes, the steamed sea bass with chilli was delicious, and the pepper beef to name but a few. I had the chocolate pudding for dessert which was really good. I will definitely be attending again, and would recommend it to friends.

Naveed Sethu
Monday, April 21, 2014

My husband booked this restaurant as a surprise after looking at reviews and recommendations as a pre valentines dinner. We dont often treat ourselves to a posh restaurant so I was really looking forward to it.

The atmosphere is pleasant with a 1930s feel which I really liked. We had cocktails in the bar area before dinner and they had a good selection of drinks.

However when it came to dinner I have to say how disappointing it was. The food was so average. We had some dim sum to start which was fine but nothing special after which I ordered bean curd dish with rice and my hubby ordered lobster tail at £42 and a prawn dish. The lobster was just ok and for the cost you would expect it to be amazing but it wasn't.

The desserts were slightly better but again nothing special and for a restaurant of this grandure and expense you expect much better.

The service was also nothing amazing very average not much attention to detail, they did not make any recommendations all of which you would expect.

Overall disappointing and would sadly have difficulty in recommending this restaurant to others.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

We went to China Tang to celebrate my mum's birthday and we unanimously felt it was one of our worst Chinese restaurant experience. We are a Chinese family who eat regularly at high end Chinese restaurants. We appreciate both northern and southern cuisines.

The food was mediocre. It was not greasy but for this price range, it should be the case. We had the jelly fish, drunken chicken and salt and pepper squid as starters. Drunken chicken is one of our favourite dishes and we tend to gulp it down as soon as it arrives, let alone complaining about it. However this drunken chicken was poor in our opinion because of the excessive use of alcohol in the dish. The taste of booze was way too strong. The jelly fish was well prepared with the right balance of flavours and crunchiness. The squid was probably the best dish we had there. It was light and had a delicate flavour. Then we had a whole lobster in ginger spring onions with noodles. The lobster was fresh and tasted good but the noodles was soggy. WIth the noodles sitting in a sauce, the type of noodles used and timing are key to achieving the right level of al dente. There are a couple of other places in London which are more masterful in attaining that with less money. For mains, we ordered the fried grouper from the specials menu, morning glory in ginger and preserved bean curd, assorted three mushrooms, braised bean curd with vegetables and stir fried chicken with spices. They are dishes you find in most restaurant menus in China Town for a fraction of the price. China Tang’s version of the dishes was not more refined, in fact, I would not recommend the assorted mushrooms as it was very bland. For desserts, we ordered a chocolate pudding with black sesame ice cream. It was lovely. We had tea and did not order wine. Our final bill came to just under £250.

In terms of service, the quality was poor. For a start, the receptionist did not ask for our coats until I requested so once we have reached our table. My parents do not speak a word of English so I enquired if they had a menu in Chinese. I did not expect them to have menus in Chinese but I did expect a friendly enthusiastic response. Instead one could easily sense the snobbish attitude which seemed to be the staff's common attribute there. We asked for the jelly fish starter to be made without chilli. This was to accommodate my mum as she liked that dish without chilli. We went on to order more spicy dishes. However when we asked for chilli sauce after ordering, we were greeted with the reply of "but you did not want a dish to be spicy.' This level of unprofessionalism is not acceptable in any decent service base business.

It was a Friday night, so the place was fully packed and noisy. The ambience was not relaxing, somewhat chaotic. We did not like the way the cutlery was directly laid on a table without table cloth, perhaps on a napkin might be better. We felt this was slightly unhygienic and did not reflect fine dining but we were aware these were personal taste. Having said that, I would say the general lack of refinement and attention to details were China Tang’s biggest problems. For instance, a leaky goodie bag at the end, poiselessly pushing our coats to us instead of helping us with them, lack of smiles, not able to recommend signature dishes. In conclusion, it is a place I would not visit again or recommend to anyone for this level of price range.

Angelina
Saturday, June 30, 2012

I hate to write reviews that are overly critical but I don't have much choice. China Tang is ridiculously expensive for food that is not as good as some of the better places in China Town if you know where you are going and are also a quarter of the prices and twice the portion size. There were a number of things that niggled especially as we were paying top dollar for the experience. The ambiance and decor of the restaurant is very nice as were the quality of the cocktails we ordered. However we ordered our starters to be told that we would have to have our mains first as there was a lengthy wait for the crispy duck. Not being funny but surely a restaurant of this standing should be better prepared and should not run out of its signature dish?

So we ordered our mains and ate them before the starters. A combo of salt and pepper squid (delicious); scallops (bland) and Szechuan prawns (average) arrived with side orders of mushrooms and stir-fried rice (so so). Portion sizes considering each main was £20+ were daylight robbery. The starter finally arrived Back To The Future style after the main and to be honest was pretty delicious, what little we got of it. We ordered a whole Duck, it didn't feel like we got a whole duck. The menu states its ordered in two parts. You get the breast filleted into small pieces with pancakes. There were far more pan cakes then duck breast. The rest of the carcass is taken back and shredded and sauteed and returned to the table, What we got was the smallest dices pieces on a tiny saucer. Not sure what happened but no way had we eaten a whole duck between four people. I can't really tell you what happened as I don't have a clue. £46 for a whole duck where we got tiny amounts of meat (no matter how delicious) is a rip off. All i can say is I will never return to eat at this restaurant with service like this when you are treated like an idiot. I hate it when you go to places like this that are as expensive as this and you leave looking for the nearest kebab shop as you're still starving!

Open letter to Kate Moss; listen darling, always been a massive fan of yours and I know your friends with the proprietor but really recommend you head down to Soho and checkout the likes of The Mayflower where you'll get a meal that is twice as good and a quarter of the price.

Monday, May 07, 2012

This is by far the worst Chinese I have ever been to in my life and I was fortunate to dine in many Chinese restaurants across the globe. In London Princess Garden, Kai, Yautcha and Hakkasan are all much better than China Tang. The food was on the whole tasteless and way below my expectations. The service was pathetic as the waiters were rude and seemed disinterested in their work. On the whole, I would not recommend this restaurant as it is a huge waste of time, if I wanted to enjoy the same dishes I would go to Princess Garden in Mayfair as the food is far superior there.

Thursday, January 26, 2012