The Elk in the Woods

39 Camden Passage, Islington, London, N1 8EA - View on a map

The Elk in the Woods Restaurant In London

Came in here on my own during a very busy lunchtime. I was immediately made to feel welcome by the friendly waiter who showed me to a table straight away. I ordered a drink - superb fruity Biddenden rosé - and that arrived promptly.

The quirky interior, lively buzz from the clientele and quaint location - superb for people watching! - all made for a great atmosphere.

I chose the duck egg and mushrooms on toast. It was a very generous portion, the egg was perfect, and the combination of fresh rustic ingredients and flavours worked really well.

Then I tackled dessert. There were several very tempting options but I went for the ice cream sandwich with popcorn and caramel which I had never heard of before. It was a real treat, tasted completely home made and the combination was delicious.

I finished off with a perfect lattė which was made by the tall waiter who talked me through the different coffees available, he really knew his beans!

So a thoroughly enjoyable lunch - superb food and drinks, prices were very reasonable, service was good especially given how busy they were, friendly polite staff, and a great atmosphere.

Will definitely be going again.

Jane C