L'Escargot

48 Greek Street, Soho, London, W1D 4EF - View on a map

L'Escargot Restaurant In London

We went last Saturday and it was quite nice, but not amazing. We both had snails to start, which were really very good and garlicky. The bread came without bread plates, which does make the table a bit messy and crumby.

We shared the chateaubriand as a main course and it was nice enough, but I've had much better steaks in pubs and bistros. For the £30 a head they charge for this, it needs more flavour and more oomph! I don't know if it's the quality of the steak or the quality of the cooking that's the problem, but it was just a but average.

We found the menu generally bland and lacking in originality. It's just a collection of bistro staples like coq au vin and steak frites. When we got to the dessert menu, it had things like a plate of unspecified cheese and shop-bought ice-cream on it, so we gave up.

Good service and excellent wine, but the food (apart from the signature l'escargot) is a bit average.

Wednesday, June 04, 2014

How very strange these days to go to a well-known restaurant in the West End and to find it pretty nearly empty. They must be doing something wrong.

It is a nice room (especially when empty) and the service was OK, if not top notch (tap water, bread and butter should be refilled immediately, grindy pepper should be available on the table). My snails were fine, but the calves' liver was definitely sub-standard, although the green beans were delicious. The others were happy with theirs.

Be warned - if you go to the website, you may think that there is a good-value set lunch. Well, it doesn't exist, they have withdrawn it. I told them that the website was out-of-date, so if it is still up, complain again. That is almost fraudulent marketing.

Overall, not really worth a special trip but OK. (I didn't pay so I don't know the appropriate score for 'value for money')

James - View all reviews by this user