Ko Gu Ryo

139 High Street, Staines, London, TW18 4LG - View on a map

My husband and I visit this restaurant regularly, as do my friends and I. We all love this place ... the food; the service; and above all; the friendliness.

It is my all time favourite place of choice to eat ... hands downs !!

I have never had a bad meal, or a bad experience here ... not ever, and neither have anyone else I have ever encountered.

I implore you to try this place out - IT IS AMAZING !!!! :))

Polly Rawcliffe
Thursday, September 19, 2013

After wanting to try something different and reading the reviews on london-eating I booked a table at the Ko Gu Ryo in Staines on Friday night to celebrate my friends 50th birthday and our 19th wedding anniversary.

It is not a meal per say it is a eating experience with friends.

We ordered three different starters, dumplings salmon and wasabi and fish and spring onion pancake. They came our individually and we shared each course thus trying different flavours. The flavours were exquisite throughout every course, presentation and attention to detail was stunning.

The owner Mr Cho was polite and he and his staff looked after us wonderfully and were there for advice when needed and stood back and let us enjoy our evening. Our main courses of marinated beef, lamb, and chilli belly pork were barbecued on the table in front of us and again one at a time so we had this sharing experience.

We tried Kimchi for the first time which was great. As we were celebrating special occasions Mr Chos chef cooked us a special noodle dish that we knew nothing about . this again was superb. Fantastic flavours, a very fair price. We were there about 2 hours and it was a lovely reed evening. You had plenty to eat without feeling stuffed. The jasmine tea we had to accompany the meal was superb and very light.

I just hope that he goes for strength to strength. However hope we can book a table. Our friends sent us a text last night complimenting the evening as a food and taste experience that was so enjoyable.

Thank you for a lovely evening Mr Cho and you team.

Kevin White - View all reviews by this user
Saturday, August 17, 2013

We were regular customers to this restaurant when we lived in Staines... we have now moved to Devon and miss the amazing food

I recommend this restaurant to anybody the food is amazingly fresh, the staff are fantastic and the owner is so friendly.... please open your next restaurant in Exeter.

Mary edwards
Sunday, July 14, 2013

I am not one to write reviews but felt compelled to write this one after our third visit to Ko Gu Ryu in the past year - this time to celebrate our daughter's 100 day birthday. As always it was fantastic.

My wife is Korean and has travelled and lived all over the world with the past 4 years being spent here in London. Her opinion is that Ko Gu Ryu is the best and most authentic Korean restaraunt in London. The food is aways excellent, service is brilliant and as always the staff were happy, polite and genuinely want you to enjoy your visit to their restaurant.

I would recommend this restaraunt wholeheartedly, its lovely and a great place to take friends and family - definitely try the Osam Bulgogi...

Paul - View all reviews by this user
Monday, March 11, 2013

Not having tried Korean food previously, it was with some intrigue that we approached the premises on a Tuesday evening. To my surprise, the restaurant was already full but we were greeted immediately by friendly staff who asked us to wait just a few moments. The atmosphere seemed just perfect, a slight 'buzz' of chatter but both peaceful and calming at the same time.

We were escorted through to a secluded area which made things feel very 'private', almost screened-off from the rest of the restaurant but not so that we felt isolated or ignored in any way. On the contrary, a steady stream of staff attended to our requests and questions, every question being answered politely and in a very friendly manner, even an explanation being offered to describe exactly where certain dishes originate.

The starter (dumplings) was, without doubt, the best I've had anywhere, perfectly cooked and tasting divine.

When the main dishes were served, they were cooked on a B-B-Q in the centre of the table so we could watch them and savour the smells. The king prawns were, again, the best I've had, while the beef was top-quality and the side dishes gave things that little variation in taste that's needed.

The service was prompt, friendly, polite and attentive without being pushy. The food was something just that little bit different and all-round, we throroughly enjoyed our time there.

Would we recommend to friends? Without a doubt. Will we be coming back to Ko Gu Ryo? Oh yes, definitely.

Michael Ray
Thursday, February 28, 2013

If you enjoy paying good money to be judged and treated with hostility and distaste

then go to this restaurant where you can enjoy a fantastic meal in a setting of zero atmosphere.

After 3 previous fantastic meals at this restaurant I decided to go with friends to celebrate my birthday.

On arrival there we 3 other groups of diners in the small restaurant yet the level of atmosphere was set to zero. My friends and I were chatting as we entered and gave the staff a cheery hello as they seated us.

It seems our high spirits were mistaken for drunkenness and for that reason the manager came to 'assess' whether or not he would serve us. I should mention that at this point we had all had ONE glass of wine each in a bar on the high street and we are in our 30's so tolerance of said glass of wine was not a problem!

As the manager stood by our table and quite openly had a debate with himself as to whether he would serve us, my friends offered him encouragement by way of giving him full explanation of our one glass of wine stating we were all fine and suggesting his first impression was probably because we were just in good spirits. BASICALLY because it was my birthday and they knew being asked to leave a restaurant would be incredibly upsetting then had to BEG him to serve us! How utterly humiliating, also in front of other dinners!

The manager decided we could stay and quickly realised his mistake, he brought an extra dish of fish soup over by way of apology.

On reflection we should have walked out. If in fact we had have been intoxicated we probably would have but through utter astonishment and by way of testament that the manger was wrong we stayed.

The food was as always good but the restaurant was silent and the un-welcoming start along with the lack of atmosphere ruined our meal.

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Fantastic place to eat!!

Went in there last saturday night with a group of 4 to try something different.

The owner was brilliant, very helpful, could not do enough, even came up and told us that he thought we had ordered a bit too much and advised us on what to take off the order.

Food was brilliant, full of flavour, cooked to perfection and was really entertaining to have the dishes cooked in front of us on the table.

Highly reccommended!!!

Tim Cosh
Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Don't walk past go in! Owner is fantastic and food is amazing...

Diane
Saturday, April 28, 2012

First visited this place the week it opened. The thing which was most obvious then, and still is now, is that the owners wanted to use the best ingredients to produce the best examples of Korean food. For them, it is a labour of love.

Excellent and friendly service, good advice to drive you through the menu, the freshest of ingredients wonderfully cooked, a lovely atmosphere... it's hard to find any fault in the place...except that too many other people (Korean and British) now know about my secret... but definitely 10/10.

Andre Rettelet