Oriental Canteen

2a Exhibition Road, South Kensington , London, SW7 2HF - View on a map

Rude with a capital RUDE. Not one minute after eating my meal the waitress told me to pay and leave, not even saying it with a 'please'. She said that there will be lots of people coming in. WTF? The people weren't even sure if they were going in as they were just merely looking at the menu posted outside the windows. I don't know if the staff there have the slightest hint of customer service or they are just simply rude. I was deeply insulted and completely ruined my day.

I am never coming back there again. EVER.

jpg - View all reviews by this user
Friday, December 23, 2011

Great chinese food outlet for those in a rush.

I'm not sure why this place is pulling in top marks for atmosphere. It's not the Ritz, nor is it trying to be. I feel a bit guilty pulling down the average, but let's be realistic; it's a functional canteen. It works for me when I'm in a rush. I wouldn't bring a client or a date here, but it's perfect for post-museum or pre-Albert-Hall group meal with your friends.

Food-wise I have no complaints. I'd expect this sort of thing from the hawkers in Malaysia. On this front it's actually quite authentic with the plastic plates and plastic cups.

The service is quick enough. The restaurant is small, so no-one is really kept waiting.

The bill? What more can one ask? Oriental Canteen will fill you up for less than a tenner. I rarely bother with starters, since the mains are big enough that I often struggle to finish them.

Alan Ingham - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Oriental Canteen is THE BEST RESTAURANT I HAVE EVER BEEN TO!!!!! The food there is amazing and the staff are kind and friendly to children. If you decide to go there, the best choices of food to eat is roast duck and pork with rice but if you can take chilli, an excellent Malaysian dish called laksa is best for you.

Juliet