Maoz

43 Old Compton Street, Soho, London, W1D 6HG - View on a map

Iíve been meaning to return to Maoz since I went there years ago with a vegan friend. Itís now moved so I was a little confused trying to find it, but really itís very handy just around the corner from Piccadilly Circus on Old Compton Street. Maoz is an all vegetarian falafel bar, and although that may sound like theyíve pigeon-holed themselves into a tiny menu, there is actually plenty to choose from.

We chose a Meal Deal which included a wholemeal pitta filled with lots of excellent falafel balls, humus and a large slice of fried aubergine, as well as a cone of Belgian fries and a tin of fizzy pop. At £5.90 a real bargain I think, especially as when they call you up to collect your meal youíre told you get to top your pitta with as much salad and sauce as you like. As many times as you like.

From their fine fresh salad bar I opted for some fried mushrooms, baby beetroot, red cabbage, couscous and coriander sauce. Adam opted for coleslaw, fresh tomato, fried cauliflower and yoghurt sauce. All was delicious and perfectly fresh, as were the fries (perfectly chunky too). You can also choose from different falafel-filled pittas, topped with yums likes avocado, Babbaganush, boiled egg, and Feta.

You can eat in at the canteen style benches, or take out (although I know I couldnít tackle mine standing up!). And the place is open til 2am on Fridays and Saturdays (1am the rest of the week apart from midnight on Sundays) so itís perfect for late night bingeing after soho drinks. Oh and there are franchises all over the world, a couple in Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Netherlands and LOTS in the USA where you can even have it delivered.

Weíre sure to see more of this happy little place, if indeed we did rather stuff ourselves and nearly spoil our dinner. Itís great value, fast and convenient, and ever so yum.

prettypretentious - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, October 16, 2011

Lovely food for falafel lovers, In fact I went there with family - we all loved the food. Finally we found one vegetarian restaurant with real taste of Arabic dish. would love to visit again and definitely recommend to other people.

Raj