Santore

59-61 Exmouth Market, Clerkenwell, London, EC1R 4QL - View on a map

Santore Restaurant In London

I live in London and I'm a regular customer of Santore.

Tonight was a special night for me and my friends, we had booked for 7 pm for 4 people ... and so all is ok .... I would say very good dinner ... I ask the bill and was about 125 pound more or less ... I ask them to remove the service charge but not because the service was bad, but just because I am also working in a restaurant I know that sometimes are not all for the waiters so I prefer to leave cash (remember that in any restaurant of the 12.5% ​​service charge are at discretion to the customer!).

However, we paid the bill without service charge that is 111.85 pound and we left 10 pound cash for tips (instead of 13 pound as it was written on the receipt)!

After 2 minutes from the payment the manager came to the table to ask us why we did not want to pay the service charge, and I told him that we had paid for the service anyway but since it is a discretionary AND I REPEAT AT discretion OF CUSTOMER I could choose what and how much to pay !!

In the end the only thing that he has been able to say is that it is better not to go back to that restaurant more if you do not want to pay the service charge, and that the service charge is given to the waiters!!

But my question is: what's the problem if I do not pay any service charge but only a part, and / or if I leave cash tips to the boys?? Why lose a customer that is at least three times a month and leaves you at least 120 pounds at a time?

However, regarding the food and service (waiters) they deserve a 7 but 1 to the management .... it was a shame even because the way he talking to me was very poor and not even interesting what i was saying and the end he was annoyed only for 3 pound on a bill of 120 pound.... Miserable!

I'm really disappointed!