Santore

59-61 Exmouth Market, Clerkenwell, London, EC1R 4QL - View on a map

Santore Restaurant In London

I live in London and I'm a regular customer of Santore.

Tonight was a special night for me and my friends, we had booked for 7 pm for 4 people ... and so all is ok .... I would say very good dinner ... I ask the bill and was about 125 pound more or less ... I ask them to remove the service charge but not because the service was bad, but just because I am also working in a restaurant I know that sometimes are not all for the waiters so I prefer to leave cash (remember that in any restaurant of the 12.5% ​​service charge are at discretion to the customer!).

However, we paid the bill without service charge that is 111.85 pound and we left 10 pound cash for tips (instead of 13 pound as it was written on the receipt)!

After 2 minutes from the payment the manager came to the table to ask us why we did not want to pay the service charge, and I told him that we had paid for the service anyway but since it is a discretionary AND I REPEAT AT discretion OF CUSTOMER I could choose what and how much to pay !!

In the end the only thing that he has been able to say is that it is better not to go back to that restaurant more if you do not want to pay the service charge, and that the service charge is given to the waiters!!

But my question is: what's the problem if I do not pay any service charge but only a part, and / or if I leave cash tips to the boys?? Why lose a customer that is at least three times a month and leaves you at least 120 pounds at a time?

However, regarding the food and service (waiters) they deserve a 7 but 1 to the management .... it was a shame even because the way he talking to me was very poor and not even interesting what i was saying and the end he was annoyed only for 3 pound on a bill of 120 pound.... Miserable!

I'm really disappointed!

Anna
Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Completely out of order! And I'll explain why

1) Our table was booked for 9.15pm. At 9.05pm we arrived & waited outside. I went in to tell the manager that we had arrived, not expecting to come in, just to say. I was greeted with a "you have to wait" immediately & without a polite attempt of a welcome

2) After having juggled among 4 restaurants to find a good Neapolitan pizza for a night out among work colleagues, we went to Santore as they were the only ones delivering pizza al metro (by the metre). Imagine how we felt when the waiter told us this was finished for the night. So I explained the latter to him, and he then brought the chef who reiterated the same. I insisted that is why we chose Santore and after a word with the manager, suddenly we could order pizza up to 3metres. Were we at the circus or a pizzeria may I ask?

3) When it was time to pay, the bill was brought to us at a flash without us having the time to ask to divide it into 3 bills (since we were 3 big tables, and it would have been easier to pay that way, & faster (since both us and the waiter wanted to finish the night). Nevertheless, as we started calculating to pay, the waiter kept overlooking until one of us (Neapolitan himself) sent him off with a half-joke!

4) We had paid a deposit for each person attending to secure our table. Strangely enough, when the bill arrived, this deposit was not levied off. So when I remarked it, the waiter said he knew nothing of the sort.

5) As one of us had his birthday, the manager had promised that since we were a group of 15 people, he would throw a small cake for the birthday guy! So imagine my surprise when I saw this in the bill.

And to insult to injury AND THIS IS WHY I AM WRITING THIS REVIEW when I went to ask the manager to remove it, he answered me that we should be thankful for having been accommodated on a Friday night! What the hell? Who the hell do they think they are?

Having chosen Santore on the basis of having before visited as a couple, I have not one word to say against their food, Actually it is quite good! However I can see that they are well untailored to provide service to large groups, and due to their impoliteness, they have lost me forever! After all they are not the only authentic Neapolitan restaurant in London!

Malcolm Callus
Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Yet again everything was great

Warm welcome as always.

Complimentary Prosecco as builders in (not that we were aware of them)

Wonderful Carpaccio (beef)

My favourite pasta dish with clams, prawns and mussels just sublime and exactly spicy enough. Accompanied by very reasonably priced very smooth Merlot

Didn't have dessert.

Service great. Just live this authentic Neapolitan place to eat. Would go nowhere else if anywhere near this part of London

Liz - View all reviews by this user
Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Being of Italian origin and having holidayed in Campania since I was a child I was a bit sceptical about this restaurant. I've been let down so many times by 'Italian' places in London and although this place wasn't spectacular, it was more than above average.

The staff are a bit lax, I went on a lazy Sunday and maybe none of them felt like working that day, but seeing as it was one of the only places open in Exmouth Market it was a blessing to see somewhere we could eat!

I ordered the scialatielli pasta, a speciality of the Naples area, and it was fantastic. My girlfriend ordered a pizza which was very tasty and authentic tasting too.

I didn't have a dessert or a starter so can only comment on two things on the menu, but for the price and quality it was a nice little find. Much better than Strada just down the road which was (bizarrely) more busy.

Mike
Sunday, January 13, 2013

when I went there the pizza and pasta that my girlfried were extremely tasty... it is a bit expensive (but for london is ok) and far from my place. Can you move near battersea?

dimitri
Saturday, September 29, 2012

If you live in the neighbourhood, it is probably a decent place to get a quick pizza. But it is cramped, noisy and the food is just OK. It certainly isn't worth a special trip.

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Tinned mushrooms. On a 'Funghi' pizza. Really burnt base. Bread over-salty. Bad pizza. Mozzarella nice. Service Ok. House wine poor.

Cinepeople
Friday, June 08, 2012

Very good food quality. I went there many times and I was never able to find a dish that was not original or ''fake Italian'' as this can happen in Jamie's Italian or Strada or Ask.

All is real Italian, authentic, genuine and very tasty!

Marco
Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Lovely authentic Italian restaurant, with decent antipasti and pizza, and a surprisingly local feel in a central neighbourhood. Won't blow your socks off, but reliable, well cooked food with proper ingredients, and no more expensive than a pizza chain, but much nicer. A great place for a mixed group or extended family meal.

Michelle