Cottons (Islington)

70 Exmouth Market, Clerkenwell, London, EC1R 4QP - View on a map

Cottons (Islington) Restaurant In London

I was absolutely disgusted by the customer service, i am still in shock im how bad the waitresses were! The food was very average for the price. If your planning to go to this restaurant DONT! Its a complete joke! i can noy believe how rude the staff were, they must be getting paid 10 pound a night for the service they were given. My wine tasted like it was watered down and when i notified them politely the owner shrugged. It was very empty and im not suprised because its an appalling place. Go to nandos! dont waste your money!

charlene - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, May 04, 2014

Me and the Mrs took the Old Dear here for mothers day. Food was very nice indeed :) For starters we had the crab; roast lamb for main and chocolate mousse for dessert which wasn't to my taste but the Mrs wolfed mine down and hers!!

We had a pleasant meal- staff were friendly and all and I gotta say we were there the same time as the alarm going off and the man with his hand on alarm seemed somewhat embarrassed and was very apologetic to our table! But no one's two experiences can be the same I suppose!! would definitely go there again.

Mr M. Wright
Monday, April 14, 2014

After being invited to attend Cottons for a group meal I was looking forward to it as I had already pre booked my meal along with the other 10 people in my party. I was looking so forward to the meal that I did not think I would not receive it!

We arrived on time and waited for approx. 2 minutes before anyone acknowledged us. Actually we were acknowledged in the small foyer by a man in chef whites who had his hand placed on a button (more on that later) and said please go in. So we wait while a waitress near by carries on setting the table. She then checks our booking and shows us to the bar. In the time I get myself onto a bar stool and pick up a menu she returns to let us know actually our table is now ready (this was the table she had just been and finished setting while we waited to be acknowledged!). Great so we get comfy and sit down and order our drinks which takes a little longer than expected to arrive but there were a few cocktails and there was a very large booking close by. We inform our waitress who could have smiled a bit more and spoken a bit slower so we could understand that we would like to order our starters (which remember the restaurant had in advance). So we chat enjoy our cocktails and wait and wait for our starters. We have now waited far too long so complain only to be told they will be with us soon. With another complaint and 2 minutes after they arrive although we are now waiting for 2 peoples starters to arrive. They turn up only for us to realise that the kitchen had obviously run out of the ribs starter as my friend was served Belly Pork without being informed and who they thought would not know the difference. This is very poor practice and an insult. If the kitchen does not have what you have ordered the decent thing is to acknowledge this to the customer and offer them an alternative. Not just serve what you like hoping it will be eaten.

During our meal the fire alarm would go off at various intervals interrupting the ambience and conversation. No staff members acknowledged this to us so we unsure if we should evacuate or not. By the end of us leaving the alarm had gone off at least 4 times. The man we first saw on arrival pressing a button was obviously the alarm switch off person!!

The starters were nice and although we had waited a while we had made the effort to book, pay a deposit, drive to the venue so we thought ok off to a bad start but lets now enjoy the rest of our meal. Well the rest of our meal did not arrive as again we waited and waited and waited. Until it got to the point that we thought actually no this is not good service we can no longer make the best out of a bad situation. We spoke to the manager and agreed what aspects we would pay for and we left. The manager was apologetic but it does not help when you leave a restaurant hungry and dissatisfied over 1hr and 30 minutes after arrival!!

It was a very disappointing night as we had made the effort to enjoy Cottons but was not allowed due to the lack of attention to detail and very poor customer service and the alarm going off. There was a large group also seated( who were also complaining about not getting aspects of their meal on time or at the same time as others in their party) but if they can not accommodate a certain amount of customers and provide the required level of customer service they need to look at their booking system.

Additional considerations would also be:

Staff training, grooming standards as waitresses did not have hair tied back, fixing the broken toilet seat in the ladies, chefs in the open kitchen not shouting whilst under pressure for customers to hear, speedy acknowledgement on arrival.

The staff also were very stressed and under pressure due to the lack of organisation.

The owner of this establishment really needs to review the customer experience as Cottons may start to lose customers which is a shame as it has previously had a good reputation that is going down hill based on my experience and the others listed in terrible and poor on trip advisor.

Unhappy Diner - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Was at Cottons Islington at the weekend for mothers day. Had a lovely time - menu was set but there was also the choice of the alacarte menu. Drinks happy hour was available during the time we were there and I have to say I over indulged in that department :) Lovely way to spend my mothers day.

Louise Sharp
Tuesday, April 01, 2014

I went to Cottons on Mothers day as a group and i will start by not recommending this place. There is a very slow food service, we waiting over 45 minutes for the main course. The portion sizes were ridiculous, we were adults and were given child portions, the menu was limited, no jerk chicken on the mothers day menu. Most of the dishes were served without rice and peas, one diner had sea bass wiith sauce as a main. was terrible, not what I expected. Of couse you could buy rice as an addition but they wanted more money. Very over priced restuarant, i would definitely not be visiting again, don't waste your money there, big rip off.

We had to buy McDonalds after as we were still hungry. Very disappointed we are.

jack - View all reviews by this user
Monday, March 31, 2014

Did these people go to the same restaurant as me????? Because the place and the food and the staff were on form when I went recently with my girlfriends. We went on a Friday after work which was just in time for drinks happy hour :) cocktails all round and let me tell you the potions were generous! I've been to some bars and I'm sure they never added alcohol to the cocktails only water lol but this place didn't scrimp on that !!! This particular night they had CALVIN Francis playing in the bar and that really got the atmosphere going. I must admit we really enjoyed ourselves oh and the food was to die for... However due to the large alcohol intake I never got round to sampling the desserts lol :)

Friday, March 28, 2014

A large party of us (approx 40 people) came here for a leaving do. Although my friend was well organised and pre-ordered everyone's dishes and drinks and gave the restaurant a spreadsheet with everything, the staff struggled throughout the night. No drinks or water glasses were on the table, dishes were brought out late, people we're given their dishes at different times, the sides were brought out way after the main dish. No one had the foresight to keep on top of the drinks order or go around to ensure glasses were topped up. If my friend hadn't asked how many bottles of drinks was left from her tab she wouldn't have known and they would have been kept!

The head waitress tried her best, but you could see her and her colleagues weren't fully briefed on the evening or they lacked training to deal with such circumstances. It felt like a dysfunctional factory line.

Once we finished dinner we were told that we had to leave the table as there were other bookings, which was fine because the plan was to finish the night downstairs in the Rhum Jungle. We were all surprised to see tables set up with diners, as opposed to an empty space or their usual bar set up. Because we were a large party we struggled to find somewhere to sit/stand amongst the tables. It was very awkward. It felt like we had gate crashed a dinner party. After an hour the diners started to leave and the staff packed away the tables. Seeing this we thought that the 'club night' had finally started. However we were told that we had to go back upstairs for 30 mins as the last remaining table was having a surprise! We were all frustrated and annoyed at this point but decided to do as were told and went upstairs (to yet another packed room full of diners) as we all wanted to dance and end the evening on a high. However, things did not get any better. After an hour of waiting, a couple of us approached the manager to find out what was going on as we were left hanging. By this time it was 11.45pm (we had been there since 5pm! To our horror, his attitude was rude, unprofessional, defensive, evasive and unapologetic.

We decided to call it an evening at midnight!

In all my years of dining I have never experienced such appalling service. I do not blame the staff, but the manager. With such bad managerial skills how do you expect them to know any better?

The food was ok, but not amazing. I will not be going back to this established in a hurry. Which is a real shame.

Sunday, January 26, 2014