Su La Korean Restaurant

79-81 Kingston Road, New Malden, London, KT3 3PB - View on a map

John Lanchester

Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 'Authentic specials' include a wonderfully hot, sweet, deeply flavoured ox tripe stir-fried with chilli. I also braved yook hwe, a magnificently crazy starter of chopped raw beef, stirred with finely sliced pears, egg yolk, soy sauce and sugar, and served with the beef still partially frozen...Then it's time for the grills. The house special is marinated beef rib, cooked over the white-hot brazier and then chopped into manageable portions by a waitress with scissors. Then you wrap it in lettuce.

I have been to this restaurant twice. Thr first time was my birthday. I'm Korean and although there were no language barriers, the booking over the telephone was long-winded and complicated, with the restaurant wanting me to order more food than needed. Some friends in my party who turned up early were turned away at the door although there were people eating inside and it was raining heavily outside. I had ordered some dishes in advance and although those came out reasonably promptly, all other dishes came out painfully slowly. There is one waitress in particular who obviously hates her job and looks positively pained every time she's asked to bring something, and pretty much expects you to do everything yourself from clearing the dishes to doing the BBQ.

Despite this terrible service the food was good so we gave it another try today. The service was even worse than last time which was already the worst service I have ever experienced in a restaurant. Every dish took forever to appear and there same surly waitress served us. When 4 bowls of rice were ordered, 2 appeared initially and the other 2 came 30 minutes later. Portions were miniscule and everything was served reluctantly by the surly waitress. What really took the mickey was when our set menu specified there would be 'dessert' and we were brought 3 tiny orange halves when we ordered a set menu for 4. If a non-korean person looked at the word 'dessert' I'm sure they would at least expect a piece of rice cake. This was almost an insult. The side dishes they gave was probably just enough to feed 1 person and when asked if there were more they reluctantly produced more when we were nearly finished with our meal.

We decided we didn't want to pay the service charge as we simply didn't receive any service. At this the owner got angry and when we said we felt the service is going downhill he said he doesn't need our business. It seems they have been hyped up in the media and feel they don't have to work hard to keep customers. Believe me it's not worth making the trip all the way out of New Malden high St when other Korean restaurants in the area are serving food just as good with a good service to boot. They obviously don't want more business, I and people I brought to this restaurant will certainly keep away.

Saturday, December 06, 2014