Taste of China

172-174 Station Road, Harrow, London, HA1 2RH - View on a map
Telephone: 020 8863 2080

Having lived in Harrow on the Hill area for at least 10 years and as someone who enjoys tasting food from a different country I was looking for some exciting taste and flavors that a UK restaurant could provide. As most average middle-class people we are not expecting fine in a normal restaurant, so bearing that in mind I would comment.

I did eat at Taste of China in Harrow on several occasions, definitely more than a dozen visits and tasted a variety of dishes that they provide on their menu with group of friends, colleagues or for a casual romantic evenings. I genuinely loved the food and quality they used to provide. Price wise it varies but surely not the cheapest.

On my last visit on the 21st of April 2015, after a long absence in UK for 1 and 1/2 year I convinced my guest from Australia to give it a try as he was raving about some crispy duck he had in Northampton and was saying it's the best.

Remembering my past experience at Taste of China I told him that the crispy Duck there is as good as you can get for £19.50 which is the average price in most restaurant for 1/2 Crispy duck..

Booked a table for 3 pax and ordered soft shell crab and 1/2 crispy duck with some drinks as a starter. It did not take us long to be served but at first glance the crispy duck looked burnt (Over Cooked) and dry. After my first bite, I called the waiter and told him this was dry. The waiter, I surely remember his face as for the last 5 years at least he works there; told me that this is how it should be.

Now I am a great food fanatic and used to work as a Food & Beverage Manager in a Hotel with a Gastronomic Restaurant that I was in charge when I was a Manager. I knew what I was talking about, but the waiter insisted. I did not want to spoil the evening so I just paid in full for what they served and after I had to apologize to my guest we walk off and had to settle for another restaurant after having just the starter at Taste of China.

Would surely not return ever again as I believe they don't value their customer and therefore I personally don't wish to spend my money in such place. I might be a bit harsh, but reality is that we paying for a service and if it is not provided with an ok average level then it's not worth it.

Varun
Wednesday, May 20, 2015

I dined at Taste of China this evening along with two friends. I ordered a glass of white wine which tasted very bad. I had 3 sips and couldn't bare the taste. I therefore opted for water. Upon receiving the bill, I informed the male manager that the wine tasted very bad (although it was actually toxic and tasted worse than bleach - I was trying to be polite) and that was the reason I hadn't drunk the wine. He said that there was nothing wrong with the wine and the issue was with my personal taste. He did not offer to remove the cost of the wine from the bill. After receiving this treatment, we informed the manager that we were not willing to pay any service charge which had been added to our bill. The Manager then had the audacity to tell us that he knew we were regular customers and that if we did not pay the service charge, he would not allow us back to the restaurant. We are shocked, appalled and horrified by this terrible experience that we have just had at Taste of China. More so, we are saddened at the fact that our loyalty to the restaurant has been disregarded over a glass of wine. We will not be going back to the restaurant and urge others to resist temptation.

Shivani