Arbutus

63-64 Frith Street, Soho, London, W1D 3JW - View on a map

Arbutus Restaurant In London

Foodepedia

Foodepedia

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - The squid and mackerel 'burger', parsley, razor clams and sea purslane is the same dish that was on the menu in 2006 and it's still delicious. The mackerel is fresh and subtle, the squid al dente and the razor clam chopped to remove its scary tongue appearance is buttery and beautiful. My slow cooked crisp pig's head, mustard mayonnaise, with crisp salad has also been on the menu for years and why not? The head meat pressed into a mould and then decanted is slippery, fatty and packed with porcine flavor. The salad combines thinly sliced cornichons, apple and radish to perfectly counter the fat and the mustard mayonnaise has just enough heat. It's instinctively good cooking.

A lively, polished venue with undersized offerings. The food is generally well executed but the portions are really wanting. Perhaps not a problem with starters and puds but the main was also not generous. My order of game consisted of two very small pieces of meat, a single slice of veg and a measly side of dauphinoise spuds that was basically a delicious tablespoon of goodness buried in the dark recess of a small side dish. This meanness lets down an otherwise solid establishment. Shame really as other establishments now offer a better bang for the buck.

DoubleDouble - View all reviews by this user
Monday, October 29, 2012

Beautiful food, lovely setting.

Susan Kiss Russo
Wednesday, April 04, 2012

I feel compelled to write a review about this restaurant after Valentines Day dinner here with my wife.

Its funny because our favourite restaurant is actually right next to the restaurant so we've walked passed Arbutus a lot but never thought to give it a try but after a thankless task of trying to book a restaurant for Valentine's Day at the last minute I was happy to settle for a Michelin starred restaurant, in an area I knew well and that seemed to have a very interesting menu.

The meal was a real triumph. Service was impeccable, starters, main course and dessert arrived like clockwork, which could have been excused on a night like this. The highlight for me was the squid and mackerel 'burger.' What a stunning dish, with a real taste of the sea from that purslane. Cod fillet main and chocolate mousse dessert were also excellent! The key obviously being the restaurant's commitment to the absolute best ingredients, nothing overpowering, very delicate, fresh flavours washed down with a chilled Chablis from Burgundy.

I'd go back in a second!

Deji - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I have been a fan of Arbutus for years and eat there regularly. The food and service is always good, especially the service - which is personable yet professional.

My visit there yesterday totally destroyed everything I've admired about their staff and ethos. It was a busy evening at about 7pm and we were seated readily. Our waiter was very nice but also very stressed. He was perspiring and sweat was literally dripping off his head. He tried to be calm but he was in a hurry when describing the menu to us. My dinner partner and I felt stressed.

My dish the Fish Boulabaisse arrived and the fish wasn't cooked through. I sent the dish back only for it to return looking like another dish. The chef has decided to fry it rather than poach it. The dish had a layer of oil floating on it. I explained to the waiter that this dish wasn't right and he tried to explain that the dish is cooked this way! I've eaten this dish numerous times and as a chef, I know the difference. The manager then came and he explained that because I had complained the fish wasn't cooked (the middle of the fish was raw!), the chef had decided to grill it because poached fish cannot be poached again.

My understanding of a Michelin Star restaurant is that the service and quality should be of a high standard and pride? Shouldn't the chef re-cook the dish then? The manager said he could ask the chef to make me a new dish should I request so. I declined as I had lost my appetite by then. The manager and waiters then avoided our table like the plaque while I watched my partner consume his meal. When he finished his meal, the manager came to clear the table. As he was in the act of clearing the table, he told us our meal was on the house and to feel free to order some dessert to make up - all this while, he never established eye contact at all. It felt like they offered unwillingly and made to feel like we were being unreasonable.

If I was dining in a greasy spoon, I could probably accept this level of service, but this is a Michelin Star restaurant! I was very sad that a restaurant that had such quality before is now so poor. The setting was not relaxed or inviting - the lighting was bright, there was no table linen, the quality of the tables and chairs looked cheap. What's happened to the real Arbutus?

Marie - View all reviews by this user
Friday, September 23, 2011

Sophisticated place that means serious business! My squid and mackerel burger was good, but my boyfriend ordered the eel starter which was to truly die for. The rabbit was again good but my boyfriend's lamb again beat my dish - juicy and cooked to perfection. The service was fantastic. The dauphinoise pie which accompanied the lamb and the cottage pie which came with the rabbit were simply delicious. Chocolate fondant was unusual, tasted more like a mousse and was slightly disappointing as I'm not a huge fan of mousse. But to sum it up, £130, two carafes of wine, two appetizers, two mains and a portion of dessert later - superb dinner and will definitely return.

Sophie
Monday, August 15, 2011

This was the best dinner I've ever eaten! The gratin dauphinois was absolutely amazing, the filet mignon was so tender and to top it all off the wine matched perfectly with my meal. I couldn't have asked for anything better! Bon appetit!

Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Just got back from lunch with two colleagues and it was by far the best set lunch I've had there (others have been very good but flawed). I had a spring vegetable soup, which was lovely: light, flavourful, with bursts of bright green from peas, shelled broad beans and asparagus dotted among the other vegetables, and beautifully herbed with tarragon and basil. One chum had the same, the other had an amazing soft-poached Burford Brown with Parma ham and parmesan foam. He had a very good seafood risotto for main, while we had an absolutely delicious, moist rabbit dish with aubergine mash (for want of a better term), gnocchi, red peppers, courgettes, basil, and bits of green olive scattered about the plate giving little salty flavour bursts. The rabbit was beautifully cooked, and the whole dish was absolutely delicious. Really, really good. Pudding was a custard tart that wobbled charmingly, with a few strawberries. Absolutely delicious too. Everything was very well presented, and the bread was excellent ()and offered repeatedly). Service was good but slightly intrusive, especially at the beginning when it was very empty - slightly over-friendly and chatty waiters. We had a small carafe (250ml) of Picpoul white between us (work!) for £10. With two coffees, and the wine, AND service, the bill was £75. £75! For an absolutely delicious, beautifully-presented three-course lunch with a bit of wine and coffees! Bargain. Food alone is £17 a head.

Previous visits have been marred by small portions or salty soup, but this had basically no flaws whatsoever with the food, and only a slight complaint about intrusive waiters. Otherwise, a really, really good and enjoyable meal with outstanding value.

RichardM
Monday, May 09, 2011

Pig Pig's Corner

Pig Pig's Corner

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - I'm going to talk about both the main courses collectively as I think they are broadly similar - meat, cooked adequately and not overdone, slightly underseasoned but made up for it with the drizzling of gravy around it, served with a variety of vegetables; I though the rabbit had the more Mediterranean vegetables while the roast pork had the more traditional British ones...Service was prompt and efficient throughout. There was a great boisterous feel during lunch too.