The Red Fort

77 Dean Street, Soho, London, W1D 3SH - View on a map

The Red Fort Restaurant In London

Zoe Williams - 7.5/10

Monday, October 25, 2010 - I had the samundari ratan, a seafood stew comprising scallop, king prawn, stone bass and squid, with an ingredients list that somewhat misleadingly stressed the cinnamon and cloves. In fact, the chilli was so assertively the point of the sauce that the ancillary spices didn't kick in till a few hours later. I still loved it, though...K's biryani smelled incredible when the sealed lid came off, and it took me a while to work out why: there seemed to be a sweet, almost floral whiff coming off it. The lamb was so good, the clay-pot handling made it so intense, that you could smell the sweetness of its little Welsh field.

The Independent

Katy Guest - 6/10

Sunday, September 26, 2010 - Our mains, in their cute little clay pots, are exceptional. The Hyderabadi bhuna gosht (Herdwick lamb with ginger, garlic, black pepper and coriander) is dark and complexly tasty. The nalli rogan josh (lamb shank with nutmeg, cinnamon and bay leaves) apparently 'falls off the bone' and tastes pleasingly of lamb, complemented by spices. But a fiver for plain, boiled rice? Surely people only eat rice because they are too poor to afford real food? We're lucky: a larger group nearby is told that nobody may individually order rice or bread, but that the waiter will bring a selection 'for the table'.

+ Show more critic reviews

The food served here is simply out of this world! There are plenty of inventive dishes on the menu. Last night, my wife and i had the Seekh kebab and brocolli floret (Tandoori Phool). Both (especially the Tandoori Phool) were amazing and left us gasping for more delicious food! To follow, we had the lamb briyani, Lucknow chicken (Lucknowi Murgh) and a Panchrangi dal (lentils) dish with a selection of bread. Initially, we were not that hungry but we both ate like greedy bears as all the food was soooo delicious!! Personally I thought the lamb briyani at the Red Fort was the BEST I have ever had (and I have eaten a lot of Indian food in my 56 years of life). No wonder you cannot have a lamb briyani (Dumpukht Biryani) before 7.30pm as the chef cooks this briyani very slowly until it reaches perfection. Highly recommended and we shall definitely return!

Friday, October 31, 2014

Unlike many other Indian restaurant on almost all major streets in London, I was highly recommended this place by my friends. We had been there on a busy Friday evening and was quiet happy to get reservation at peak hours. Being Indian, I always had been fussy about quality of Indian food being served in eateries, but I couldn't find a better quality and taste we had at Red Fort.

The starters were amazing!! We ordered Hara Kebab, Soft Shell Crab, Hariyali Jhinga (prawns) and Lentil dumplings. All were very different in taste, presentation and style of cooking. Menu is well designed with a high quality selection of vegetables, meats, game and seafood. Starters priced between £6 - £12 is fair considering the portion size.

Our mains included in-house speciality Dumpukht Biryani (lamb) cooked in authentic Hyderabadi style, Lucknowi Murgh (spicy chicken curry), Awadhi Hiran (venison) are to find on menu in Indian restaurant, Saunfian Paneer Tikka (cottage cheese) and Subz Kofta (mix veg dumplings). All were very tasty, esp the biryani which was a total treat in a steaming pot.

Manager was very kind to allow us to take a copy of the menu signed by their head chef Azadur Rahman. it was our anniversary so thanks for the relic we received.

Desserts were a good selection of few hot and cold delicacies like Gulab Jamun, Mango Kulfi and Funky Pie.

Service was flawless and unobtrusive with adequate help coming in recommending dishes for an unforgettable evening. Well worth asking their opinion.

Wine list was very extensive covering almost all major wine producing countries. I was almost lost in such big selection and asked wine sommelier to help us out once again. Well, who could have chosen a white wine from Turkey, so perfect to start with and a red wine Marichal Reserve Tannat from Uruguay.

Thank you so much for this wonderful experience. Hope to dine there soon!!!

Arti Pannu - View all reviews by this user