Blue Elephant

We are sorry but this restaurant has closed - The Reader Comments are shown for historical purposes only

Metro

Marina O'Loughlin

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - Laab ped - finely chopped duck salad - delivers a massive thwack of flavour from quantities of lime juice, Thai basil, nippy little pink shallots and threads of kaffir lime leaves. They've correctly included ground, toasted rice and snake beans - this is rare, even in good Thai restaurants - but I wish they'd either roasted off the clods of flabby duck fat or omitted it altogether. There's a thick, oily Penang curry ('red' spices, peanuts and loads of coconut cream). 'Drunken sizzling beef' shows no evidence of either booze or sizzle and the meat is greyish and sinewy. With a royal ransom's-worth of interior design, it seems reductive to skimp on ingredients. Maybe they figure we'll be too dazzled by the surroundings to notice.

Had a really unpleasant experience here. I went online to book a table for my husband's birthday and the only available table was at 10.30. I therefore called to check that this would give us enough time to complete our meal in a relaxed way and was assured that we would as the restaurant would not close until midnight. At 11.30, while we were still eating our main course, a waiter visited our table saying that we needed to order any more drinks as the bar was about to close. At 11.50, the moment we finished our dessert, all the lights were turned on. To add insult to injury, a waiter then came with the bill saying that we should have come earlier to enjoy the experience more. I didn't want to make a fuss as it was my husband's birthday, but I was absolutely furious. The food is pretty good here, but didn't make up for a completely ruined special occasion.

Catherine Hibberd