Blue Elephant

The Boulevard, Townmead Road, Imperial Wharf, London, SW6 2UB - View on a map

Blue Elephant Restaurant In London

Marina O'Loughlin

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - Laab ped - finely chopped duck salad - delivers a massive thwack of flavour from quantities of lime juice, Thai basil, nippy little pink shallots and threads of kaffir lime leaves. They've correctly included ground, toasted rice and snake beans - this is rare, even in good Thai restaurants - but I wish they'd either roasted off the clods of flabby duck fat or omitted it altogether. There's a thick, oily Penang curry ('red' spices, peanuts and loads of coconut cream). 'Drunken sizzling beef' shows no evidence of either booze or sizzle and the meat is greyish and sinewy. With a royal ransom's-worth of interior design, it seems reductive to skimp on ingredients. Maybe they figure we'll be too dazzled by the surroundings to notice.

Had a really unpleasant experience here. I went online to book a table for my husband's birthday and the only available table was at 10.30. I therefore called to check that this would give us enough time to complete our meal in a relaxed way and was assured that we would as the restaurant would not close until midnight. At 11.30, while we were still eating our main course, a waiter visited our table saying that we needed to order any more drinks as the bar was about to close. At 11.50, the moment we finished our dessert, all the lights were turned on. To add insult to injury, a waiter then came with the bill saying that we should have come earlier to enjoy the experience more. I didn't want to make a fuss as it was my husband's birthday, but I was absolutely furious. The food is pretty good here, but didn't make up for a completely ruined special occasion.

Catherine Hibberd
Saturday, May 03, 2014

We travelled a long way to get to the blue elephant to celebrate our daughters birthday... We have been a couple of times before to this new location and the previous one several times.

As always, the food was fantastic, although very pricey for a pretty rushed lunch.

When the bill arrived, I noticed we had been charged for 2 glasses of red wine which none of us drink. As the bill was for almost £300 I felt it only right to explain that we did not drink or even ask for the wine which was £30 for 2 glasses.

The lady who served us the bill was extremely rude and treated us as though we were lying and she was searching the table looking for the 'empty' red wine glasses.... Reluctantly, she refunded us the money, with no apology, just a glare as if we were totally beneath her....

Sadly, we will not return there, it was definitely not worth the humiliation of being made to feel like we were lying and it ruined what should have been a special family day for us...

Sunday, April 20, 2014

FAB but expensive. But it was well worth it. Starters were catfish and prawn salad, strange but nice, minced chicken and prawn balls wrapped in taro pastry. Mains: crab curry (divine), HUGE prawns in a lovely sauce, morning glory with peanuts and a lovely bottle of wine = 120 pounds for 2 people.

Sunday, March 16, 2014