Club Gascon

57 West Smithfield, Clerkenwell, London, EC1A 9DS - View on a map

Club Gascon Restaurant In London

Went here last Thursday (19/07/12) Nice space, impeccably French, seated quickly and aperitif order taken just as fast, good start! Menus and bread arrived as did the wine list, we went for the tasting and Matched wines. The Maitre D / Sommelier, Sebastien was well informed and explained all dishes and wine well.

Kitchen needs to pay attention to small details, as my amuse came on a chipped dish (in a 1 star place as well!) and the seaweed in the fish course was gritty and I managed to get a substantial piece of grit!

All the food is what I would term "modern French" some very odd combos and techniques and flavours, not bad or unpleasent, but unexpected and jarring in some respects, not what I was expecting at all, that said, it was a nice experience, especially from the FOH team and the wine matching, he wines actually being better than the food!

Will Probably go back to try the a la carte.

Fu-Dog
Sunday, July 22, 2012

Visited in June 2012 for lunch. It is a set menu 3 courses for £25!

Choice of 6 dishes per course. We had a great lunch.

Service was excellent. Best value meal for a Michelin star restaurant.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Went last night for dinner and chose the tasting menu with wine. Food was good but nothing really excited or wowed. Presentation seemed to be more important than flavours. Service is professional but impersonal. When serving one of our wines the bottle ran out, leaving my glass with half the amount of my partners. After 10 minutes waiting I had to request another waiter to serve the missing wine! No apology. Overpriced and underwhelming.

Richard
Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Although for me this place was a pain to travel to it was worth all of the hassle. We were greeted warmly and gave the menu which was dishes that were separately priced or a tasting menu. We went for the separately priced dishes.

To start I sampled the braised snails and tulip etc. - it was very tasty and possibly the most innovative dish I ever had.

Next came the wonderful foie gras course: foie gras ‘pot au feu’ + spring vegetables & cigar infusion! It was rich enough to make me lean back in my chair and let out a sigh of delight.

Then I had the langoustine & squid plancha with saffron pearl and a surprising pig’s trotter cake. Enjoyed the mix between sea & field.

Sweetening things up, we then had dessert. I chose glacé rhubarb et strawberries, refreshing, light and with lots of flavours, featuring green pepper, maize fondant and poppy liquor.

Overall it was a proper foodie experience and in my eyes it well deserves its star and I will go again.

A W
Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Booked Club Gascon for a birthday dinner. This is the restaurant that I always wanted to visit (close to work) but never managed. I was bit nervous about going there for a birthday treat - I travel to France at least once a month and dine at the best restaurants so some negative comments had put me off.

The atmosphere of the restaurant was friendly, more on the casual side but still very detail focus. The waiter who served our table had a great sense of humor and knew the food very well.

We all chose the tasting (market) menu. Wine choices were very interesting and good, and the food was superb. From the bread, to those interesting and tasty butters, to all the 5 courses plus a small ice cream. Combination of flavour was amazing. Highly recommend this place.

One thing to note though, we ate on Tuesday night and the restaurant was fairly empty. It's not normal for a Michelin star restaurant perhaps due to the location. Luckily I had good friends eating with me otherwise the place could be a little bit too quiet.

Johnny
Wednesday, May 16, 2012

This restaurant should not have a michelin star. The presentation is very good but unfortunately the food is poorly executed. It seems that the chef doesn't have a fine palate at all. He only knows how to serve a beautiful plate, but the flavours are very badly mastered.

What a shame.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Essex Eating

Essex Eating

Monday, March 05, 2012 - With no small degree of ceremony, shellfish bisque was poured over my bowl of squid and saffron-piquillos relish at the table. The bisque was soft and aromatic; the squid beautifully tender, as were the folded sheets of swede taken together with the subtle tang of the piquillos relish. It was altogether a lovely dish, delicate and light...Braised Ox Cheek with an Anchovy sauce, pieces of confit Lemon and Avocado Chantilly doesn't sound like the likeliest combination does it? I started eating, and oh my God, it was amazing. Tender, sticky, intensely savoury, absolutely perfectly cooked.