J Sheekey

28-34 St Martin's Court, Covent Garden, London, WC2N 4AL - View on a map

J Sheekey Restaurant In London

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

Friday, September 02, 2011 - The portion itself was huge. Adorned with a shard of bacon, I was breaking off tender flakes of slightly salty fish, being mellowed out with runny yolk and potato. Rich and extremely satisfying. The other slabs of fish around me looked perfectly cooked and I even managed to snaffle a taste of the lemon sole which was simply done, finished with a squeeze of lemon and tasted excellent. A special mention needs to go out to the chips. Be they triple cooked or no, they were crisp and evenly fried on the outside, maintaining an almost silken texture on the inside. One of the best chips I have ever had in London.

London Eater

London Eater

Monday, March 08, 2010 - I usually prefer fish to be cooked just ever so slightly under. It means that the fish is still flaky and yet manage a consistent spring in its texture. And I judged this Pollock to be cooked to those parameters, just the way I like it. It was well salted, which brought out all the fleshy flavour, and the fish flaked off with the slightest prick of the fork. The cream sauce, dense, carried a mild flavour, with a mellow fragrance of leek and saffron. Accompanied by juicy river exe mussels and a coarsely tussled mash, the dish was another exemplary example of refined simplicity.